Thursday, December 27, 2007

Day 9: Europe Trip: Budapest at Last


My flight to Budapest was short and pleasant. Getting to my accommodations was easy and I was very happy after meeting my hosts at the door. I am staying with an older couple who run a bed-and-breakfast in Budapest. They were waiting for me at the door, gave me a tour of the house and my room and met me in the living room where they spent some time giving me helpful information about the city. I’m so glad I decided to stay here. The room is cheap, it’s close to the metro and city center, and the hospitality is great.
After quickly settling into my room I took the metro to Pier 7 where I took a sightseeing Danube river cruise. While on my cruise I met a Dutch couple who also happen to live in the next town from where Marco is from. What a small world! They kept me company during the cruise and after exchanging emails I agreed to send them my pictures since they had forgotten their camera at their hotel.
The city looked amazing at night. I can’t wait to get started tomorrow morning. I can already tell that 2 days isn’t going to be nearly enough time to really see the city but I’ll get a pretty good idea of it. LoL. After the cruise I stopped by a Christmas market and had a nice sausage for dinner. Yum!
I got back to my room pretty early and decided to watch a little CNN since I haven’t watched TV in over a week. I was sad to see that a few moments before I turned the TV on the prime minister of Pakistan (Benazir Bhutto) had been killed. Yikes! That’s very bad news for that region!