Sunday, December 30, 2007

Day 12: Europe Trip: Goodbye Budapest


Today I left my room in Budapest pretty early. I caught the metro and bus back to the airport and checked in with WizzAir. May flight only takes just over 2 hours to get to Holland so don’t expect they will give us anything on the flight since. I have prepared by buying myself a bottle of water and once I get to Holland I’ll eat some lunch with Marco and Skip. WooHoo, I’m excited to see my hubby again! This trip went by pretty quickly for me, but it is nice to go “home” to faces I know.

Question 1:
So, the big question at the start of my trip was whether I prefer traveling alone and booking my own trip or if I prefer going on a Contiki Tour. After this trip I think that I prefer booking my own itinerary. I found that on this trip I had the opportunity to meet more people, see more of the things I wanted to see, and I didn’t really have to worry about sticking to a schedule. I am glad I had booked several tours on my own before I left the States. It was on these tours that I had the opportunity to meet people.
The pitfalls of booking everything myself are:
It’s a lot of work. I didn’t get a chance to go to all the restaurants I wanted. I did have to keep track of the time (since it gets dark early during the winter) since I was traveling alone.

Question 2:
The other question before leaving the States was whether staying at a hostel was going to be a good idea or not.
This one is pretty easy to answer! I LOVED staying at the hostels! I especially had a nice time in Prague because of the friends that I made there. The hostel allows you to interact with others and exchange stories. I would definitely stay at hostels in the future! It’s a cheap and fun way to stay while traveling. But as I mentioned before, I would do some research before booking your stay at a hostel since I did hear some horror stories. Lucky for me, the Old Prague Hostel in Prague was lovely!
I did enjoy staying with Maria and Istvan (Bed and Breakfast) in Budapest. They were super sweet and helpful and it was more like staying with relatives than anything else. Every morning they had tea and cookies for me, they were ready to answer any questions I had, and were always there to give me suggestions on what I should see next.
I had a great time traveling around. Now I look forward to spending some time with my family in Holland and hopefully get a chance to visit some friends.