Thursday, December 20, 2007

Day 2: Europe Trip: Things gone to hell!


Once we arrived in Amsterdam, we quickly made our way to the belts where our luggage was to appear. Marco’s luggage was one of the first to get off the plane and we expected mine would follow shortly afterwards. We waited and waited and then reality hit that my bag was not on the plane with all of the others. I waited in line at the complaint desk only to find out that my bag missed the flight from New York to Amsterdam and was therefore put on a flight to Manchester instead that would then catch a flight on KLM to Amsterdam. The guy at the counter asked me to stay in the airport for a few more hours while the flight from Manchester arrived so that I would get my luggage today. Marco’s sister was kind enough to keep me company at the airport while we waited for the Manchester flight. In all of this time, I missed the 2 trains that were headed toward Berlin so I had to think about what was going to happen to the trip I had planned.
The Manchester flight came in and again I waited at the belt for all of the luggage to be unloaded. After almost 35 minutes of waiting I again came to realize my bag was not going to be arriving today. I went back to the complaint counter where I found out that my bag made it to Manchester alright but missed the flight to Amsterdam, and due to the bad weather in Manchester my bag would not be making it to Amsterdam tonight.
I left the airport and while on my way to Bodegraven (the town I used to live in while in Holland) I called Expedia to explain why I would not be able to attend the activities I had booked. The first person I talked to quickly cancelled my activities and then stated I would have to pay full price anyway. Of course he mentioned the non-refundable stuff after he had cancelled it all. I was so upset I started to cry.
We made it to Bodegraven where we quickly went to the stores that were still open to by a few necessities since everything I needed was in the bag that was now stranded in Manchester. After our little shopping trip I went to my sister-in-law’s house where I was able to hook up to their wireless internet and call Expedia back to see what they could do for me. After talking to someone helpful at Expedia, they decided to give me a full refund on all Berlin activities. I was also able to cancel my hotel stay in Berlin for the first 2 nights. It has been a long day but I am happy that I have a place to always come to in the Netherlands. Tonight Marco and I will be staying with his mom in two very warm beds although it’s -5 degrees outside, and snowing.